- Place a cast iron skillet in oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
- Brush both sides of steak with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- When oven is heated, carefully remove pan and place on stovetop over medium-high heat.
- Place steak in skillet and sear for 2 minutes.
- Flip, top with garlic and thyme and place skilled back in the oven for 6-7 minutes.
- Put skilled back on stovetop over low heat.
- Flip steak, top with butter and carefully tilt pan while scooping melted butter, garlic and thyme to continually coat steak for 1-3 minutes.
- Confirm doneness with an instant read thermometer and pull from skillet at 120-125 degrees for medium rare.
- Let rest five minutes and coat with browned butter before serving.
This technique creates a great charred steak using a very hot skillet while emitting a great deal of smoke. Be prepared with pot holders and proper ventilation.