- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pat beef dry and rub with 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof 5-quart wide heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown beef on all sides, about 15 minutes total. Transfer beef to a plate.
- Add onions to pot and saute over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until pale golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary and remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add wine and water and bring to a boil.
- Return beef to pot, then cover tightly and braise in oven, turning once after 1 hour, until beef is very tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Serve with 1/2 pound of egg noodles, boiled until al dente and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.