Appaloosa Bean Chili
Salads & Sides,
Smoked Ham Hock
- 2 ounces bacon fat
- 1 cup yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp shallots peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp cumin ground
- 1 tbsp coriander ground
- 1 tbsp chili powder ground
- 2 cups Llano Seco Appaloosa beans soaked in water overnight
- 1 bottle beer Shiner Bock would a great choice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 Llano Seco smoked ham hock or mini ham
- 1 tbsp ancho chile purée
- 1 tbsp serrano pepper (stem seeds and membrane removed, brunoise)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (washed and dried chopped)
- 1/4 cup scallions chopped thin
- 1 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- In a medium hot stock pot, add bacon fat and sauté onions, garlic and shallots until caramelized.
- Add cumin, coriander and chili powder to onions and continue to cook until spices begin to toast.
- Add appaloosa beans.
- Deglaze with beer and reduce by 2/3.
- Add chicken stock, ham hock and ancho purée. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Continue cooking for about 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Garnish with serrano peppers, chopped cilantro and scallions.
- Finish with fresh lime juice.
- Remove ham hock (save for the chef).