- Combine flour, lard and salt in a food processor and pulse until it resembles coarse crumbs
- Move mixture to a bowl and add water, lighting tossing with your hands to distribute water evenly.
- Working quickly, knead dough for several minutes with you hands until a cohesive, smooth dough forms.
- Form into a flattened ball and cover with plastic wrap or a clean, lightly damp kitchen towel.
- Place dough in refrigerator for 1 hour. (This step is critical for the hydration of the wheat flour and will make the rolling process much easier.)
- Divide chilled dough into smaller portions and form into balls. Keep covered with a damp towel.
- Lightly flour work surface and roll out until very thin. Continue dusting work surface with flour as needed.
- Place tortilla in a hot pan for 15-30 seconds per side, until bubbles start to form and lightly brown on the bottom.
- Wrap finished tortillas in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm and serve immediately.
*Makes 10 large tortillas or 20 smaller taco tortillas