Appaloosa Beans & Bell Pepper
- 1 lb. Llano Seco Appaloosa beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- ¼ tsp sage
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1/3 cup lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1-2 bay leaves
- ½ cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tsp hot sauce, your choice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3-4 cups of cooked rice
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- Soak the dry beans in water overnight in a covered vessel. Drain the beans.
- Heat the oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, thyme, basil, sage and oregano for 7-10 minute or until soft. Add the drained beans, bay leaves and enough water to cover everything by about an inch. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 45 minutes. Add extra hot water if needed in order to keep all the ingredients below the water level.
- When the beans are soft, add in salt, pepper, parsley and hot sauce to taste.
- Serve over hot rice and garnish with the scallions.