Ancient Grains & Beans Sampler,
Black Calypso Beans,
Black Eyed Peas,
Black Turtle Beans,
Jackson Wonder Beans,
Jacob's Cattle Beans,
Salads & Sides,
Soup Mix Beans
Yield: 15 biscuits.
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 125 ml (1/2 c) whole milk
- 45 g (about 1/3 c) bean flour made by grinding dried beans in a coffee mill
- 23 g (about 2-1/3 T) all-purpose flour
- 1.2 g fine salt
- a couple turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 t ground cumin
- healthy pinch cayenne pepper
- 35 g (1/4 c) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 15 g (1 T) unsalted butter, melted
- melted butter for the molds
- Whisk the whole egg and egg white together. Add the milk and whisk to combine. Whisk in the flours and the seasonings. Whisk in the parmesan cheese. Finish by whisking in the melted butter. Set the batter aside to rest while you complete all of the next instruction.
Set your oven to 215 °C (420 °F). Place the silicone mold with fifteen cavities shaped as truncated cones on a baking sheet. When the oven reaches temperature, place the baking sheet with the mold into it. Heat the mold for 10 minutes.
- Remove the mold from the oven. Brush each cavity thoroughly with melted butter. Using a one-tablespoon ladle, fill each cavity with batter. Wipe off any batter that spills onto the apron of the mold.
- Bake the little biscuits for about 25 minutes. The cavities in the middle take longer to bake so those biscuits may need more time in the oven.
- If not serving immediately, cool the biscuits on a rack. Note: The biscuits can be frozen and then reheated for 10 minutes at 180 °C (355 °F) before serving.