Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Black Eyed Peas,
Porktacular Party Box,
- 2 cups dried Llano Seco black-eyed peas (about 12 oz.)
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup malt or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. bacon (about 4 slices)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Place black-eyed peas in a bowl and add cold water to cover by 4”. Chill 12 hours, then drain.
- Whisk red and green peppers, scallions, garlic, oil, Champagne vinegar, malt vinegar, parsley, salt, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Cover and chill vinaigrette at least 4 hours and up to 12 hours.
- After beans have finished soaking, cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown and fat is rendered (bacon shouldn’t be crisp), 5–7 minutes. Add beans, then carefully add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, 25–30 minutes; remove bacon. Transfer beans to a large bowl, add vinaigrette, and toss to combine. Chill, tossing occasionally, until cool, about 1 hour.
- Do Ahead: Salad can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and keep chilled.