Black Bean Turtle Brownies
Black Turtle Beans
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- ⅓cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup coconut sugar or raw sugar
- ½ cup homemade raw caramel sauce (recipe below)
- ½ cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
RAW CARAMEL SAUCE:
- ½ cup date paste (2 parts dates to 1 part water pureed thoroughly)
- ½ cup raw almond butter
- ½cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon
- ⅛teaspoon sea salt
- To make your raw caramel sauce: Make date paste in blender and puree until smooth. Add almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla, lemon, and salt and blend again until smooth. Place in fridge in airtight container until ready to use.
- To make brownies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 pan with foil or parchment paper and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pulse drained and rinsed beans and coconut oil in food processor until smooth. Pour into a medium bowl and add eggs, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, and sugar. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour half the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 9-11 minutes, or until top is set. Drizzle ½ cup raw caramel over the brownies and use the back of a spoon to spread it out if necessary. Pour the remaining brownie batter over the top, then sprinkle pecan pieces andchocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 16-18 more minutes, or until the top of brownies are set. Side note: because there is caramel in the middle these brownies will be very fudgy and moist! When cooled, drizzle more caramel on top if desired. Enjoy!