Brothy Heirloom Beans With Cream
Black Calypso Beans,
Black Eyed Peas,
Black Turtle Beans,
Jackson Wonder Beans,
Jacob's Cattle Beans,
Slooow Cook Box,
Soup Mix Beans,
Soups & Stews
- 2 cups mixed dried heirloom beans, soaked overnight
- 2 quarts chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 sprigs thyme, plus leaves for serving
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Flaky sea salt
- Olive oil (for serving)
- Bring beans, stock, and thyme sprigs to a gentle simmer in a medium pot over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, skimming any foam from surface, until beans are tender, 1–1½ hours, depending on types. Discard thyme. Season with kosher salt and pepper, remove from heat, and let sit 30 minutes.
- Return to a simmer; stir in cream. Season with more kosher salt and pepper if needed. Serve topped with thyme leaves and sea salt and drizzled with oil.
- Do Ahead: Beans can be cooked 3 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill.