Curried Coconut Canario Beans
curried canario beans,
curried coconut beans,
Salads & Sides
- 1 cup dry canario beans, soaked in water overnight
- 4 cups coconut water
- 3 fresh peppers (We like to use two jalapenos and a serrano, but you could use Thai chili or none at all)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp coriander seed
- ¼ tsp cumin seed
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Drain the canario beans and put them in a large pot with the coconut water and peppers. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, toast the coriander seed and cumin seed over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until fragrant. Grind the toasted seeds in a spice grinder or with your mortar & pestle.
- In the same skillet, heat the canola oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook 3-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the turmeric, ground coriander and cumin, salt and the cooked beans with a little of the cooking water. Cook until heated through.
- Top with chopped cilantro and serve.