Jacob's Cattle Bean Soup
Jacob's Cattle Beans,
- 2 cups Jacob's Cattle beans rinse and soak overnight (3 parts water to 1 part beans, soaking water reserved)
- 2 Tb salt
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 onion diced or use 4 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup tomatoes coarsely chopped, or use tomato puree when fresh is unavailable
- 1 cup roasted red peppers chopped
- 1 bunch kale stemmed and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tb dried thyme
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup soft goat cheese
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- kosher salt
- Prepare the beans as instructed, soaking them over night for easy digestibility.
- Put the beans and the reserved soaking water in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and skim off the foam. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and add the salt (the water should taste lightly of salt). Cook about 1 hour, until the beans are to your liking in texture and flavor.
- While this is cooking, heat the olive oil over medium heat in another saucepan and cook the carrot, celery, yellow onion or shallots and garlic, until the mixture becomes soft and translucent but don’t allow to brown. Stir in the tomatoes, red peppers and kale of your choice. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until it all becomes tender and add salt to your taste.
- When the beans are finished, add in the vegetable mixture, herbs and spices. Cook for about 20 minutes to meld flavors, then add the heavy cream, goat cheese and black pepper. Cook for 15 minutes more, then season to taste with salt.
- If making this soup in the summer, feel free to adjust the vegetables and use fresh herbs.