Baby Lima Beans,
Jackson Wonder Beans,
Soup Mix Beans,
Soups & Stews
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot , chopped
- 1 medium stalk of celery, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 large potatoes, (we suggest red), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 can diced tomatoes, not drained (You can use fresh too but we like the sauciness of the canned)
- 1 or 2 summer sqaush, cut into chunks
- 1 bunch Kale (or other leafy green)
- 2 cups of soaked and cooked beans (any variety; Canario, Baby Lima or Cannellini work great)
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese (Adding the rinds while cooking adds immense flavor)
- Optional : Add one cup of cooked bacon lardons, or chopped up smoked ham to add a delicious smokey flavor.
- Put the olive oil into a large dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Once hot, add onion, carrot and celery. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stirring frequently, cook until vegetables soften and begin to brown, approximately 10-15 mins.
- Add potatoes and a little more salt & pepper. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until vegetables are brown in spots.
- Add 6 cups of water, or broth of your choice, stirring and scraping any bits from the bottom. Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to the mixture bubbles steadily.
- Cook, sitting occasionally, until tomatoes break down, about 15 minutes.
- Add zucchini and kale and cook until vegetables are all tender, another 10-15 minutes. Stir in beans add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.