Sauteed Black Beans with Bacon
- 6 slices Llano Seco bacon, cut crosswise in julienne strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup black beans (dry)
- 1 tablespoon corn meal
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed hot red chili pepper
- Follow instructions on package to cook beans.
- Brown Llano Seco bacon in large, heavy skillet over moderate heat and drain on paper towel.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings, add onion and garlic to skillet, and stir-fry 8 minutes until golden.
- Add remaining ingredients, turn heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve, topping each portion with Llano Seco bacon.