Slow Cooker Black Calypso Beans with Beer and Bacon
- 1 lb. Black Calypso beans, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 slices thick-cut, pastured bacon, chopped fine
- 12 oz. wheat beer
- 5 cups vegetable stock or water (or a combination of the two)
- 1 to 2 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges for serving
- Place the beans, onion, garlic and bacon in the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Pour in the beer. Add the stock or water.
- Stir all the ingredients and cook on high for 7 to 8 hours, or until the beans reach your desired tenderness.
- Before serving, stir in the salt to taste. How much you need will depend on what type of stock and how much water you used. Stir in the cilantro.