Summer Bean Salad
- 8 cups cooked Llano Seco beans and at least 2 cups cooking liquid. (When cooking beans, salt them in their liquid about 3/4 of the way through the cooking process)
- 2 cups celery diced 1/2 inch
- 1 cup red onion diced 1/4 inch, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes, then drained
- 1 cup diced fennel
- 2 cups sliced pickled okra, or substitute pickled green beans
- 1 tsp mashed or grated fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow celery leaves
- Grated zest of 2 limes
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup sherry wine or red wine vinegar
- Make a vinaigrette with the oil, lime juice, vinegar and hot bean liquid.
- Put the hot beans in the dressing.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper.